Monday 28 April 2014

Random Rant: Dwarves vs. Smaug in Erebor

About two weeks ago, I was able to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on DVD, and for the most part I was content. However, after two hours I decided I may as well throw my copy of The Hobbit out the nearest window.

For the last half hour, I watched dumbstruck as the dwarves scampered round Erebor trying to kill Smaug with all manner of industrial mining stuff. It’s a complete departure from the dwarves in the book who push Bilbo into Erebor and wish him luck with finding the Arkenstone. For me, Jackson has forgotten one of the reasons I love The Hobbit – the good guys are complicated. They’re not there to take back Erebor, they’re there to get their gold back. It’s this that gives them depth because they’re going to the Lonely Mountain is out of greed rather than some noble quest.

However, Jackson does give us this awesome last scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3-vfsZdrK0



- Michael C


1 comment: